[PD] Flute synthesis

Nicolas Montgermont nicolas_montgermont at yahoo.fr
Fri Apr 27 18:54:17 CEST 2007

Great-great!

Andy Farnell a écrit :
> That's good. A solo or featured instrument might use an expensive
> physical model, but cheaper methods for the backing instruments.
> Maybe some kind of namespace could be started now [orc-flute],
> [orc-cello] and so on. A coherent performance interface would
> be a great start, something simple akin to MIDI {/ducks}

I agree with the namespace, simple and clear. I also think that midi
notes combined with a few continuous parameters should be sufficient.
> Actually the structure isn't as important as the flexibility
> and documentation. One should be able to query an instrument with
> a [help( message and get a print out like
>
> /string/position/
> /string/unitweight/
> /bow/pressure/
>
> all with normalised scales in OSC style so you know what is addressable

Definitely.
> Keep the same general interface and every time someone makes
> a nice instrument they can put it in the next available namespace
> slot like [orc-trombone-22], [orc-trombone-23]...

In order to handle the desired quality, I see two possibilities:
- a creation argument that should be 0: "simple"-model and 1: "complex"
model.
- a OSC style message [/quality 1(
In both case, the simpler model should be the default one, and when
somenone wants something more precise, he asks for it.

I can handle the [orc-flute-1] object.
A month or two for the simple release...

+n

--
Nicolas Montgermont
http://nicomon.basseslumieres.org