[PD] switch~ & cputime climbing

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Fri Apr 27 21:01:46 CEST 2007

Hi,

I'm getting a slow-but-steady climbing CPU when running some synthesis
patches.  I (like the poster below) have sub-modules that can be
switch~ed on and off.  An archive search turned up the following
un-replied post:
> Hi all
>
> Okay.  I'm stumped.
>
> Recently, I've noticed that my cpu meter has been steadily rising.  I
> think I may have found the culprit.
>
> A while back I thought I'd put a power switch (just a switch~ object)
> on my poor-man's granular delay line, as my performance patches are
> getting a bit bulky.
>
> Try this (if you have the time):
>
> http://www.sideshowmedia.ca/cputest.zip
>
> cputest.pd: (needs expr, but I think that's all)
>
> 1. turn on audio in pd, but leave the power (p toggle) in "lois"
> off.  Watch the cpu meter climb (over a period of 5 minutes or so -
> the toggle prints the cputime every 10 seconds).  On my computer (G4
> Powerbook, HCS extended 0.38.4) it starts around 5% and hits 10%
> after 5 minutes.
>
> 2. Do the same with "lois" on.  For me, cpu hovers around 13-14%.  No
> increase.
>
> 3. Repeat step 1.  After 10-15 minutes, cputime is higher than with
> "lois" on.  Switch "lois" on, and cpu drops.  Huh?
>
> I have no idea what's going on, but am I missing something
> important?  Thanks in advance.
>
> cheers
> dafydd

Does anybody have any insight on this?  I don't remember this happening
until fairly recently, but don't know if it dates to when I started
switch~ing modules.  I'm currently running 0.39.2-extended RC1 on a
MacBook Pro.

Phil Stone