[PD] Flute synthesis

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sat Apr 28 15:12:50 CEST 2007

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:34:25 +0200
Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:

> Hallo,
> Nicolas Montgermont hat gesagt: // Nicolas Montgermont wrote:
>
> > Andy Farnell a écrit :
> > > That's good. A solo or featured instrument might use an expensive
> > > physical model, but cheaper methods for the backing instruments.
> > > Maybe some kind of namespace could be started now [orc-flute],
> > > [orc-cello] and so on. A coherent performance interface would
> > > be a great start, something simple akin to MIDI {/ducks}
> > >
> > I agree with the namespace, simple and clear. I also think that midi
> > notes combined with a few continuous parameters should be sufficient.
>
> I thought so, too, however instead of midi notes I'm not in favour of
> midi notes anymore and would strongly vote for frequency inputs for
> all instruments. It's more flexible in the long run, and in the short
> run will make alternate tunings easier.

Okay, good point, let's have pd orc instruments be frequency(Hz) driven
and leave the user to add [mtof] as needed.

> > > Actually the structure isn't as important as the flexibility
> > > and documentation. One should be able to query an instrument with
> > > a [help( message and get a print out like
> > >
> > > /string/position/
> > > /string/unitweight/
> > > /bow/pressure/
> > >
> > > all with normalised scales in OSC style so you know what is addressable
> > >
> > Definitely.
>
> Note that you'll probably want to have instance-specific OSC targets
> like "/guitar1/string/position". At least I found these immensly
> useful in Memento/RRADical. You can still set all instances with a
> wildcard like "/*/string/position".
>
> While we're at Memento: It automatically creates OSC-targets for
> everything. Getting feedback about available targets is on the TODO
> list. What will probably be done this weekend is a massive reduction
> in the number of externals needed by Memento. My realistic goal is to
> get down to just [pool] and [OSCroute], and later [pool] will be
> factored out as well and become optional. Then a bit later on Memento
> will marry SSSAD and they will have a child.

A great improvement Frank. Imho both are are a bit unweildy at present
because of deps. A much simplified parameter routing and storage layer
would help a lot.

I wonder, can such a thing be generalised enough to form a wrapper
that almost any instrument DSP core can be plugged into.

Flute is a great one to start with Nicolas, it's parameters are pretty
much fixed and it's monophonic. When that's in place we have a template
and I will wrap a few of my signal synthesis instruments in the same style.

> Ciao
> --
>  Frank Barknecht                 _ ______footils.org_ __goto10.org__

Use the source