[PD] Writing OSC applications in XUL

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 21:49:15 CEST 2007

Hi,

> is there a serialization for PD messages inside OSC? for example
> so one could load a webpage containing some XUL data hosted
> on padawan's site...it could check for a local PD instance, and
> shuttle the patch data over and open it..

If I understand you correctly, yes this is something I had in mind.
Perhaps it could be used in a firefox extension instead of in a
XULrunner app, so that you could browse to a server that hosts your
audio interfaces.  That would make setting up a networked audio system
very nice and easy.

I'm not sure how it would work exactly in terms of the Mozilla
security architecture, however, since as I understand it, remotely
loaded pages can't access XPCOM components.  I'm really not an expert
with Mozilla, so if anyone has ideas on how to accomplish something
like that I'd all ears.

Originally I wanted to do this is 100% javascript instead of having to
create an XPCOM component, but it seems there is no way to have JS
send UDP messages from a XUL app.  As far I can tell anyways.

Steve