[PD] how to use a dollar argument

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Mon Apr 30 09:05:03 CEST 2007

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:33:39 +0200
"ronny vanden bempt" <ronny.vandenbempt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> In several patches I had the following problem:
> I make a patch that I'm going to use in another patch. To make it possible
> to use several of these subpatches in the main patch, I add a dollarsign
> where needed.
> But when I apply this to arrays, I cannot make it work.
> For example a block that applies a window. It's nothing more than a tabread
> block. But I have four files with a window in. So I call the array to read:
> $1-window. But when I want to read it with a message: $1-window read
> gaussBig.txt, it doesn't load. Probably this is because of the ambiguity
> between dollarsigns in a message and elsewhere, or maybe due to the
> dollarsign not being replaced in the name of an array.
> Anyone any idea how to deal with this?

Put it in an abstraction. There is currently no real local scope in Pd. That's
something I would like to see change, but for now you must create abstractions.
The $1 is expanded to a random UID that is per patch, so two or more $1-things
will not actually be unique within the same patch.

> I refer also to the documentation of this block on our website:
> http://idafx.blogspot.com/2007/04/mapwindow-pdf-in-this-document-one-can.html
>
> Another small problem: can you leave a graph visible in a subpatch (thus
> with graph on parent selected) without seeing it in the mainpatch where this
> subpatch is used in?
> Because when i select graph on parent for the graph, the graph also appears
> in the parent patch at the same place, being next to the block from the
> subpatch.

This has varied with different Pd versions. In the past you could just place it
off the GOP area and not see it. I believe that changed > 0.4. You can make a
subpatch to hide your arrays in and still have them easy to see if you need to.

--
Use the source