[PD] RRADical users: Memento changes

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Apr 30 10:20:14 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Steffen hat gesagt: // Steffen wrote:

> This is all quite good. But i have one comment wrt. the Black and
> White Dogma
>
> On 29/04/2007, at 17.58, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> >The Black and White Dogma
> >-------------------------
> >
> >[cnv] is bad, "comment" is good.
>
> In the reasoning from The Short Dogma it uses the argument that
>
> >Pd is a graphical language, Pd patches aren't read word by word,
> >but as as
> >collection of object groups layed out in certain reoccuring patterns
> >or idioms.
>
> why i think it make much sense to use coloured backgrounds (or [cnv])
> as part of the graphical language to improve readability. It should
> of cause not conflict with the other dogma's, but instead be compared
> to using tab-indention in written code.

I forgot this one:

Dogma Zero
----------

You should only follow your own Dogmata.

Every self-respecting Dogma-collection has to be provocative (and
shouldn't be taken too serious). The B&W Dogma definitely is a style
question. IMO color is best used to indicate where the action is:
sliders, toggles etc.

As a comment replacement [cnv] aren't that good, for one because you
can_only_write_with_funny_underscores and more importantly, because
they are cumbersome to create and edit. Comments should come easy,
otherwise people won't comment.

And for emphasising certain code paths, subpatches probably are even
better:

 [inlet]

 [pd filter-notes]

 [pd transpose]

 [pd harmonize]

 [outlet]

I guess I should extend the B&W Dogma like this:

The Black and White Dogma

[cnv] is bad. "comment" is good. [pd] is better.

Ciao