[PD] anatomy of a wav file header = insert key-bits

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue May 1 08:50:42 CEST 2007

Quoting Martin Peach <martin.peach at sympatico.ca>:

> gottlieb wrote:
>> Dear List,
>>
>> I am trying to create an algorithmic composition whereby pd could
>> coalesce related wav files by reading key-byte information I would
>> insert into the header.
>> Does anyone have a good refernce on the anatomy of a wav file,
>> especially the header? also can someone advise me how pd can be directed
>> to read, let's say the 63 rd and 64th byte of a file?
>>

> You could do that using my string patch for pd and the str externals,
> not sure otherwise how to handle that.

if you don't want to patch the pd-sources and have no urge for an
external, you could as well try to read the soundfile as raw-data with
[soundfiler] (probably skipping the first N bytes with the appropriate
flag at the open-message) into a fixed-sized array (as many bytes as
you want to read).
then do the parsing with [tabread]

nmfa.r
IOhannes