[PD] deja-vu font on os x

Max Neupert abonnements at revolwear.com
Thu May 3 11:51:29 CEST 2007

Am 02.05.2007 um 19:21 schrieb Andre Schmidt:

> On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 15:48 +0200, Max Neupert wrote:
>> sorry, my post went offlist accidently..
>>
>> DON'T install fonts by just dropping them into a folder on os x.
>> double click on them and press install or open the type ulitiy to
>> install them properly.
>
> i'm curious, why not ?

a little OT here, no?

until 10.3 this was the official method how to install fonts. since
then though apple urges to use font book because it makes sure your
font files aren't damaged. in the font folder(s) are active and
disabled fonts aswell. font book manages the index. and for instance
if there is an earlier version of the same font you want to replace
it is better to use font book although just dropping them in the
folder might work, this is the recommended way to install a font.

http://images.apple.com/ca/pro/pdf/MigrateMacOSX.pdf

quote:
“Disabling Fonts
With Font Book, fonts can be stored in the various font directories
in Mac OS X
without being activated.This activation and deactivation is
controlled by Font Book;
you cannot tell the state of the font by viewing it in the Finder.”

but you will also still find contradicting info from pre 10.3 times: