[PD] flatspace externals in ext39.2

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri May 4 17:06:21 CEST 2007

On May 4, 2007, at 10:57 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> The idea is to strip down Pd to the most basic objects, then make
>> everything else a library that's included when needed.  [import] and/
>> or [declare] seem to be some of the essential few.
>
> I wonder: How should we deal with the thousands of abstractions that
> have been created in the ten years since Pd was invented? To avoid
> having to rewrite every patch, some kind of central path preference
> mechanism still will be necessary, I guess.

I don't think anyone is proposing to remove the startup flags/
preferences like "path".  For the situation that you describe, it
would be easy enough to collect those abstractions into a folder,
then add that folder to the path when you need it.  [declare] and
[classpath] allow you to do that in the patch itself.

.hc