[PD] A little help in automating pd?

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Sat May 5 20:45:07 CEST 2007

Hi Daniel,

I don't know if it has advantages, but it is possoble to open/close
patches from another patch. Maybe an advantage would be that it is
faster, because you don't have to resart pd. but I don't know how to
handle crashes... anyway, have a look at
manuals/pd-msg/2.message_and_pd/2.open_close.pd
you open a patch by using a message to pd (starting with ";pd").
the first argument is open, the second the patchname and the third the
directory. to close you give the argument menuclose and then the prefix
"pd-" and the patchname. some time ago it was not possible to use
abbreviations for directories (like a dot). maybe this works now. but
you can always use the full path name. regarding closing, many people
are talking about a "closebang" but I am not sure if that is about
shutting down pd or closing a patch. it should provide a clean shutdown.
  maybe this affects serial connections? I don't know. For me it worked
the way I described it above and I had no problems.
[that is a message(
[;pd open mypatch.pd /home/marius/pd(
[;pd menuclose pd-mypatch.pd(

marius.