[PD] Sending data from PD to another program

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Mon May 7 16:19:51 CEST 2007

I thought of something like your solution too, Frank, I'll have to
give it an inspection after I get off work.

As for my own solution, I decided that it could be very useful for
Markov Chain / random walk type of operations, especially when they
are more cyclical and NOT tree structures. For a smaller number of
states, say under 20, it would be really easy to prototype using the
node method where you simply chain things together. In fact, an AI
generative music machine would greatly benefit from being able to do
such a walk.

However, is there any method for making dynamic select and number of
outlets in a node, without coding an external? Or would it be simpler
to hard-code the node abstraction with more outlets and let the user
choose to use less?

Also, I decided it would be nice to have node names in some kind of
namespace for the node, where it has the form 'name.message'. The idea
is that while the name might be unique, messages might not. This would
make it easy to write linear chord structures as a chain of dataflow
objects. So I'm trying to remember, can .39 vanilla PD split a symbol
based on some delimiter, such as '.' (decimal) ? It seems like I rely
on zexy for things like this sometimes! Or do I need to give the
abstraction both a name, and a message parameter?

~David