[PD] Toxy (was Re: [Instance])

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Mon May 7 21:21:42 CEST 2007

On Mon May 07, 2007 at 02:08:12PM -0500, Kyle Klipowicz wrote:
> One question I have with the toxy sliders is this: in the
> multiscale-test.pd file, there are some really neat sliders, but how
> do you create these, and what are the creation arguments?

[widget widgetname widgetref moreargs]  where widgetname is the name of the .wid file sans extension and widgetref is any unique symbol

> I know that we can just go in to the patch as a text file and get this
> information, but it would be nice if there were some more instructions
> on the usage of these really powerful gui tools. What references are
> recommended for experimenting with this?

that's probably the most nasty part of toxy,

its got its own preprocessing syntax on top of normal TCL with special additions for arguments from pd, widget/canvas IDs, etc, and the widget source code is read by the server, then processed and sent to the client (so scripts longer than the max pd message size get truncated)

an autogenerated '--usage' message responder would probably need some hints to be more useful and efficient than just reading the widget's source..

can you instantiate PD objects via right clicking on the canvas yet? toxy registering all the avilable widgets in a user-GUI submenu of that menu's class-browser model sounds like the way to go..