[PD] cyclone/counter bug

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue May 8 18:18:17 CEST 2007

Kyle Klipowicz wrote:
> Hi listers~
>
> I'm trying to use cyclone/counter to manipulate video. I know all
> about making your own counters and such, but at this point I just want
> something to play my videos with the methods included in the cyclone
> counter, so why reinvent the wheel, right? (Especially when doing
> updown counting, anyone w/ an elegant, no spaghetti solution?)
>
> So I came across a bug, in that setting the min value of the counter
> has no effect, it always ranges between zero and the max value. I am
> using Pd-0.39.2-extended-rc1 on OS X 10.4.9.

hmm, i do not know the Max [counter], but cyclone usually tries to
imitate all bugs found in the original objects.

as for setting "min" it works fine, if you use a [min $1( message.
using the 3rd inlet does do something: it sets the current counter value
(but without outputting it immediately like inlet4; so you have to bang
it to see an effect).

this is clearly not as it is described in the help-patch, but probably
the original Max [counter] and it's help patch have the same inconsistency.

apart from that, i noticed that the counter-help.pd is buggy anyhow,
since the [min( and [max( messages are documented via the [min] and
[max] objects, which definitely does not lead to the desired result.

so:
does krzysztof still maintain cyclone? (haven't heard from him since
some time)
can someone confirm the correct behaviour of [counter]?
it would be simple to fix (and even more so the help-patch)

mfg.adr
IOhannes