[PD] accuracy of signal/message-objects

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Tue May 8 19:31:57 CEST 2007

what happens in a block cycle?

first all dsp computation is done, then all new messaging is handled:

usually 64 samples of digital (audio) signal are blocked together.
so lets say you have a line~ object that received a message [0, 1 10(
before the new block started. so that is executed beginning with the
first sample of the block cycle. lets say the line~ is directly
connected to an [dac~] object. so there is a buffer of 64 samples and
the first of these samples is filled with 0. then (still dsp
computations...) the next value of line is calculated, which will be
dependend on the sample rate settings (let's say 44.1k) so 1 sample is
1/44.1 ms, which will give the next rampvalue of 0.00227 (you will reach
"1" after 441 samples).
in this way 64 samples are written to the buffer. 0, 0.00454, 0.00680...
during all these calculations no new messages are handled. [v messages
have a slightly different behaviour here] finally (that is varying
depending on the sound card driver and operating system you are using)
this buffer goes to the soundcard.
THEN: after all that dsp stuff is done, the messaging process is turned
on. interface events (even if they are received and saved during dsp
computation) will only have effect for the beginning of the next block.
the whole messaging process will set a lot of new values that will
interact with the next dsp computations. for example our line object
might receive new values...

does this all make sense?
smaller blocksizes give you the possibility to handle messages in even
shorter time intervals, bigger blocksizes may help to declick for
example when you write to arrays. [for some objects blocksize is even
more important (fft~, tabsend~).]

marius.