[PD] self-centering random walk

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Thu May 10 11:31:07 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 03:17 +0100, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:
> Here's an example of a random walk that is biased towards the middle of
> its range and is guaranteed not exceed its bounds.
>
> Hope someone finds it useful, I'm using it for melodies in a generative
> piece (I'll publish the full patch in a couple of weeks).
>
> Any statisticians want to analyse it further than I have?
> Anyone have any suggestions for improvements?

That's a really useful patch. Connecting the output multiplied by a
constant to the right inlet of the metro is a really simple way to
create some rhythmic interest!

Two questions:

- What are the arrays for? Are they intended for some kind of mapping
after [random] ?

- Why do you use $0- for the subpatches, is there some reason why they
need to have names that are unique to the enclosing root canvas?

Jamie