[PD] pix_film problems in Ubuntu

Kristofer Hagbard nekmok at olmrosa.se
Sun May 13 16:04:59 CEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-05-13 at 10:39 +0200, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Kristofer Hagbard wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > Im trying to play an avi file under GEM 0.90 with the included example
> > but i get this:
> >
> > pix_film:: quicktime support
> > pix_film:: libmpeg3 support
> > MPEG3: unsupported!
> > error: GEM: pix_film: Unable to open file: test.avi
> >
> > I open it by sending a [open test.avi( and the avi is in the same folder
> > as the patch.
> >
> > It works nicely under WinXP (gem 0.91 i think.) on another computer but
> > not on my Ubuntu 7.04 with latest nvidia drivers for GeForce 8800 GTS.
> > My color depth is set to 16 due to a crappy screen.
> >

> > I'll be very happy for any ideas what could be the problem.
>
> obviously Gem has been compiled with quicktime (libquicktime4linux) and
> mpeg (libmpeg3) support but without  support for avis (libavifile)
>
> if you installed Gem from ubuntu via your packagemanager (aptitute,
> synaptics,...) file a feature request at ubuntu.
>
> if you compiled it yourself, make sure to install libavifile-0.7-dev,
> and then re-run configure and make.
>
> mf.dsrsa
> IOhannes

Thank you,

I solved it by installing the extended with GEM 0.91 from Hans site

I'm also wondering about the colors of the film, it's seem to only use
8-bit colors or some indexed colors (wich is natural on the linux
machine) but it looks as just as bad on my windows machine that are
running 32-bit colors. (it does not do this with images or webcam input)

Is there a reason why GEM reduces the color depth? Is there an encoding
that GEM handles better than others?

best,

.kris