[PD] Connection with sensors - new devices?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon May 14 20:38:31 CEST 2007

You would just send the data as an analog value, which gives you 14-
bits of resolution.  In the Arduino firmware, it would just take the
values from the sensor and report them as a analog value using the
Firmata protocol.  The [arduino] object already understands the
Firmata protocol, so it would just see the data as any other analog
message.

.hc

On May 10, 2007, at 10:38 PM, marius schebella wrote:

> I think the ultrasonic sensors send serial bytevalues and not an
> analog value, correct? how can you connect them to the pduino? or
> how can you connect even more of them. can firmata handle serial
> inputs?
> marius.
>
> Kyle Klipowicz wrote:
>> Well, we are going to be using multiple sensors, so I will let you
>> know if this code works with them, once we get to that phase of the
>> installation.
>> ~Kyle
>> On 5/10/07, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does this firmware handle multiple ultrasound sensors?  If so, it
>>> would
>>> awesome to make a Firmata Ultrasound firmware.  I just started
>>> making the
>>> Firmata protocol into a library so that people can write more
>>> firmwares and
>>> still use the same objects in the host software.  A multiple
>>> ultrasound
>>> sensor would be a great first test of this library, since it
>>> would only need
>>> to input data.
>>>
>>> .hc
>>>

>>> On May 10, 2007, at 5:27 PM, Koray Tahiroglu wrote:
>>> Hello Kyle,
>>>
>>> I am glad that those patches worked and helped you out with your
>>> project. I
>>> guess big thanks goes to Hans for them, cos during that time, I just
>>> modified his existing multi-sensor patches and developed them
>>> further to use
>>> in my project.
>>>
>>> Koray.
>>>

>>> -------------------------------------
>>> M.Koray Tahiroglu
>>> Media Lab,UIAH
>>> http://mlab.uiah.fi/~korayt/
>>> tel: +358 50 939 02 33 ( in Finland only)
>>> tel: +90 533 712 8245
>>>

>>> On May 10, 2007, at 11:38 PM, Kyle Klipowicz wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks so much Koray, it works great!
>>>
>>> I see you used the same Arduino code for the sensor as I had found,
>>> and your Pd patch is very well-written and well-commented.
>>>
>>> I appreciate this, because I did not want to try coding
>>> microsecond-level events in Pd by porting the Arduino code and using
>>> firmata, and I didn't want to use the SimpleMessaging library
>>> either.
>>> This helps us out a TON!
>>>
>>> ~Kyle
>>>
>>> On 5/8/07, Koray Tahiroglu <ktahirog at uiah.fi> wrote:
>>> Hello Kyle,
>>>
>>> Here I attach .pde files for arduino to read ultrasound sensors
>>> (they might
>>> have already there in the arduino sketchbook already, but just
>>> sending to be
>>> sure) and also modified Hans pd patches for arduino-pd
>>> communication. I
>>> didn't test them lately, but they used to be working fine.
>>>
>>> best,
>>>
>>> Koray.

>>> M.Koray Tahiroglu
> [...]

----

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams