[PD] Bidirectional Module Problem - dynamically changing delwrite?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue May 15 17:40:18 CEST 2007

Kim Taylor wrote:

> So I am stuck. Is there any way I can dynamically create/set a
> delwrite~? It seems to be the only function that might work in this

no, you cannot dynamically change the [delwrite~] name, because
[delwrite~] is the object that actually holds the delay line.
all the [delread~]s and [vd~]s out there will depend on the existence of
a named [delwrite~].

this is much the same as with [catch~]/[throw~] and [send~]/[receive~],
so it follows the same logic: the object that would break everything
when missing, cannot be made missing.

pd does not impose much, but it tends to not allow you to create invalid
dsp-graphs.

> case, and all that I need to do is change the destination.
> Or can anyone see another way i could realise the structure shown in the image?

if you really want a settable [delwrite~], why don't you just use
something like

[set varname2(

[receive~ varname]

[delwrite~ fixedname]

> Alternatively, is this something that can be done with externals? I

not if you prefer no segfaults.

mfga.sdr
IOhannes