[PD] what is compiling?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu May 17 10:55:09 CEST 2007

ariel b wrote:
> respectful list
>
> i come from the max msp world and i have listen alot the words like
> compiling, porting, etc, words that i'm not used to use so now i ask
> there is any paper, tutorial etc, around there that explain what its
> compiling and how to do that specifically to compile a source code
> around there (wii remote)

these questions are really BIG questions and i don't feel like i could
answer them here.
however, this is what i often do when i have no idea what people are
talking about: i either use my book encyclopedia or an online resource.

if you don't have an encyclopedia that covers "compilation" (chances are
high), have a look at wikipedia.

> everything in mac 10.4

get the developer kit from apple (~1GB download);
get the source code for what you want to compile.

and finally:
read the documentation! source-code usually comes with README.txt and
INSTALL.txt; read BOTH! (if it is there); read everthing that looks
readable (e.g. txt-files)
you might have to search the directory.

more specifically to pd: have a look at http://puredata.info look
through the doc/development and development/ sections

fmgasd,r
IOhannes