[PD] simple external for video with Gem

altern altern2 at gmail.com
Fri May 18 13:28:34 CEST 2007

hi all

For few days I have been working on this external set of patches that
creates a layer over Gem to manipulate video. It is thought to be used
by people that dont know but very basic PD. So be aware that it is very
simple. This is just a first usable sketch we hope to improve later.

http://ixi-audio.net/content/download/ehu_external.zip

Let me contextualise where this idea comes from. This project started as
a request from the University of the Basque Country, they run a 3 month
long module about *basic* interactive systems. In this module students
learn very different basic stuff about sensors and constructing
installations, hacking mouses and keyboards mainly. Up to now they have
never used computers, just a bit with Director.

Teachers from this department were very interested on exploring the
possibilities opened by tools like PureData or MAX/MSP. They liked more
PD because it is free software. However they were concern with the fact
that the way the course is structured right now, they dont have enough
time to introduce students properly to PureData.

At this point they came with the idea to develop a set of patches that
would let students experiment with video manipulation in PD providing a
very basic knowledge of PD. By basic knowledge i mean around just 4
hours long crash course on PD.

At the moment we have been developing some patches that are put together
into this external. In the future we want to plug this with pduino as
well as develop and improve all of it, the current version should be
considered a first usable sketch.

we hope this might be interesting for other institutions or individuals.
Any kind of feedback is more than welcome.

enrike