[PD] simple external for video with Gem

Kyle Klipowicz kyleklip at gmail.com
Fri May 18 17:36:40 CEST 2007

Very nice undertaking! I'm really appreciating Pd video players of
late, since I'm working a lot more with video and GEM.

But here is a suggestion: please reference your files using the
namespace conventions a la [ehu/cam] etc. This makes it easier to use
right from the extracted folder without altering paths. I like to test
abstractions often by downloading them to my desktop and running them,
without the process of copying them to my in-path directory or
altering my setup. Plus, if one wants to delete a set of objects from
a directory filled with other libraries, it is very difficult to 'seek
and destroy.' The namespace convention of separate directories with
unique names allows quick ability to do this. Primarily, if you are
teaching Pd to newbies who only get a few hours to grasp it, it would
be great to cut out the whole -path -lib thing and just give them
Pd-extended and let them rip at it!

Also, the xgroove~ object is not working for me on
Pd-0.39.2-extended-rc2 (OS X 10.4.9), so this makes it hard to use the
object. I appreciate what it appears that you are doing upon
inspection of the patch though: load audio and video separately and
playing them in unison, for a nice manipulation opportunity. Very
cool!

But I would offer a word of caution about that too, since I see you
have some hardwired 44100's in there. It would be best to use
[samplerate~] to get this value from the running instance of the
patch. Then it is assured to sound the same across multiple machines
with multiple different audio interfaces.

I hope these suggestions helped!

~Kyle