[PD] How to fix path to read a sound file

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Fri May 18 18:04:01 CEST 2007

You can use the absolute path "/home/taniah/sound/bell.aiff" as a
message sent directly to soundfiler.

You can use the openpanel object to search for the file.

You could use some of the various externals for creating and merging
symbols to combine file names and directory paths (prepend,
makefilename, makesymbol, sprintf...)

You could use playlist for a graphical filebrowser, with the advantage
of being able to set directories as a creation argument.

Please note that soundfiler doesn't handle spaces in file names, so
"C:\My Documents\sound\bell.aiff" won't work AFAIK. Better make a folder
without spaces in the name. See other threads from this list on "escape
characters" for much discussion about this point.

best,
d.

tania habib wrote:
> Yes I have tried it through the help files but the problem is that the
> path to search/load the wave file is not picked by the file.
> I have tried to put in the paths but it still gives error such as
> error: dsp: ../sound/bell.aiff: No such file or directory
> Please tell me the right way to put in the path
>

> On 5/18/07, *hard off* <hard.off at gmail.com <mailto:hard.off at gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     did you right click on the objects to bring up their help files?  they
>     should give you the info you need.

derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 125:
"Only a part, not the whole"