[PD] simple external for video with Gem

altern altern2 at gmail.com
Fri May 18 18:24:41 CEST 2007

hi Kyle!

Kyle Klipowicz(e)k dio:
> Very nice undertaking! I'm really appreciating Pd video players of
> late, since I'm working a lot more with video and GEM.
>
> But here is a suggestion: please reference your files using the
> namespace conventions a la [ehu/cam] etc. This makes it easier to use
> right from the extracted folder without altering paths. I like to test
> abstractions often by downloading them to my desktop and running them,
> without the process of copying them to my in-path directory or
> altering my setup. Plus, if one wants to delete a set of objects from
> a directory filled with other libraries, it is very difficult to 'seek
> and destroy.' The namespace convention of separate directories with
> unique names allows quick ability to do this. Primarily, if you are
> teaching Pd to newbies who only get a few hours to grasp it, it would
> be great to cut out the whole -path -lib thing and just give them
> Pd-extended and let them rip at it!

i see... i have never done something in this direction using PD so I am
discovering how to deal with namespaces, etc... And yes the idea is to
make its use as transparent as possible. thanks for the tip

> Also, the xgroove~ object is not working for me on
> Pd-0.39.2-extended-rc2 (OS X 10.4.9), so this makes it hard to use the
> object. I appreciate what it appears that you are doing upon
> inspection of the patch though: load audio and video separately and
> playing them in unison, for a nice manipulation opportunity. Very
> cool!
>
> But I would offer a word of caution about that too, since I see you
> have some hardwired 44100's in there. It would be best to use
> [samplerate~] to get this value from the running instance of the
> patch. Then it is assured to sound the same across multiple machines
> with multiple different audio interfaces.

i know, i took this direction because i had a deadline  for this,
students needed it for next week, and xgroove~ is what i use mostly to
play around with samples. I would like to develop a better solution for
the sound part, I saw a previous post about this issue
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2007-04/048967.html
maybe this would be a better direction to go?

> I hope these suggestions helped!

indeed they help. many thanks!

enrike