[PD] Vote your font! [was: fonts on GNU/Linux]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat May 19 06:40:03 CEST 2007

On May 18, 2007, at 2:26 PM, Chris McCormick wrote:

> On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 08:17:34AM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> Hallo,
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner hat gesagt: // Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> Many newbies think that Pd looks very strange.  Many people have
>>> expressed gratitude for the switch to the normal weight font.
>>
>> Why not make a vote? Attached are two screenshots, one with Vera
>> bold,
>> one with Vera normal, both on Linux, both on pd-extended 0.40.
>>
>> Which do you prefer?
>>
>>  [ ] normal.png
>>  [ ] bold.png
>
> I vote for:
>
> pd -font=[whatever font you like]
>
> Failing that, I vote for it looking the way that we are used to seeing
> it; courier 12 bold. I especially dislike the way Vera looks in these
> screen shots. If you're going to use a font like that then I beg
> you to
> make it anti-aliased and stop my eyeballs from doing backflips.

Yeah, things look bad in those screenshots.  I am not sure of Frank's
setup. I'll do more testing on GNU/Linux.  Also, those PNGs are an
odd format (16bit?) so they were behaving strangely on my computer.
I converted them to gifs and they look better.  Also, I have added
some screenshots from Mac OS X, where the fonts are anti-aliased:

http://pow.idmi.poly.edu/~hans/pdfonts/

Since there is obviously some demand for bold fonts, I added a new
flag that allows you to set the font weight from the command line or
pd-settings file.  The flag is "-weight" and it expects either "bold"
or "normal".  Also, for those who don't like Bitstream Vera Sans
Mono, there is the "-typeface" flag.  Should be in tomorrows auto-
builds.

.hc