[PD] Vote your font! [was: fonts on GNU/Linux]

Josh Steiner josh at vitriolix.com
Sat May 19 21:43:14 CEST 2007

hy not make a vote? Attached are two screenshots, one with Vera
>>> bold,
>>> one with Vera normal, both on Linux, both on pd-extended 0.40.
>>>
>>> Which do you prefer?
>>>
>>>  [ ] normal.png
>>>  [ ] bold.png

1) i vote normal, the bold looks way too heavy to me.  reading the
comment text in bold makes my eyes spaz.

> Yeah, things look bad in those screenshots.  I am not sure of Frank's
> setup. I'll do more testing on GNU/Linux.  Also, those PNGs are an
> odd format (16bit?) so they were behaving strangely on my computer.
> I converted them to gifs and they look better.  Also, I have added
> some screenshots from Mac OS X, where the fonts are anti-aliased:
>
> http://pow.idmi.poly.edu/~hans/pdfonts/

*File not found!*

The URL you have loaded has not been found on this server.

Please alert the system administrator if you believe you have reached
this in error.

> Since there is obviously some demand for bold fonts, I added a new
> flag that allows you to set the font weight from the command line or
> pd-settings file.  The flag is "-weight" and it expects either "bold"
> or "normal".  Also, for those who don't like Bitstream Vera Sans
> Mono, there is the "-typeface" flag.  Should be in tomorrows auto-
> builds.

won't this make the patches render at different sizes depending on your
choice of font?  so now if i want to open frank's GOP patchs and have
them render right i have to remember to turn on the bold flag, which
then makes all my patches render wrong?

-josh

tasty electronic music vittles      --  bluevitriol.com
the only music blog you need        --  playtherecords.com
you are the dj.  interactive music  --  improbableorchestra.com
random observations of the bizarre  --  vitriolix.com