[PD] converting gem patches to video files

paris at parisgraphics.com paris at parisgraphics.com
Fri May 25 17:57:25 CEST 2007

i've used a few methods with various degrees of success:

1. screen recording as Nikola mentions. on linux there's xvidcap and
others that i can't think of at the moment. running this as well as
your application can end up making the machine run pretty slow - at
least for me.

2. pix_write
to save a series of stills that you can animate.
this method works better for me than (1).
plus gives me the added bonus of deleting frames that i don't want.
e.g. when doing some video feedback stuff, i get some flicker - blank
frames.
i can easily sort all the saved files and delete these (significantly
smaller file size than "good" frames).

3. similar to what Claude does - run svideo out of one machine and then
record it onto another machine.
since the machine creating the visuals doesn't have to also record or
write images to disk, i've had the best results with this for cases
where the patch is most demanding - e.g. patches doing both audio and
video processing.

best,