[PD] puredata evolution

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Sat May 26 00:37:37 CEST 2007

victor wrote:
> summarizing: Which is the next future of PureData

Before I try to answer that question, please keep in mind that you
cannot compare an open source software project to any company driven
proprietary software. Lots of people have been working very hard to
bring Pd to the current state and propably 99 times more people use it
in their work, and I saw some great artwork done with it. Seriously, I
don't know so many other "art software" packages of that size. (I am
thinking of maybe blender, processing, gimp, audacity...)

But let's talk about the future. Btw there is a nice talk about open
source software projects, which was given at "google talks".
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4216011961522818645

To me it seems there is not really a clear direction of what Pd should
be. Speaking as a user I only can speculate, but most probably none of
the people who have contributed Pd code have ever agreed on a certain
featurelist of a final version. Or whether there should be a v 1.0 at all.

But that does not mean that there is no progress. Regarding the social
aspect there will be the second puredata conference in late August in
Montreal. People are doing lot of work to get this running. Then there
are the summer of code projects http://puredata.org/dev/summer-of-code.
Other people are working on documentation and tutorials and others try
to integrate all the different libraries into one release.

btw. it is too late for this year's prix ars electronica, but since
there is a category "digital community" Pd definitely should go for that
next year...

marius.