[PD] puredata evolution

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sat May 26 14:52:02 CEST 2007

The little dog in the picture is saying "woof..woof..  your card stacking
method is suboptimally stable...woof"

> do you think that gem is a mature proyect for video creation? why not? why
> the evolution is slow? or simply why there are not a  object for to save
> pretty videos in open formats? (same asks for pdp).

Pd has grown big, sound, video, physical robotics,
installations, with Pd as a general purpose cyberjunction. Big must
move at a fairly slow pace to stay coherent.

> Which is the next future of PureData

As a crazy hypothetical, hmmm, I wish for Blender to marry Puredata as their
games sound engine and make set of [world] objects babies...
..that have hooks called from game object events.:) When you see a video link
on a viewer in game Pd is handling all that, when two objects collide
the sound you get is Pd handling it... Pd as an embedded realtime signals and
interfacing layer in a games engine sort of thing. /end dream~~

> Maybe the extended version is a valuable effort for to have a open platform
> for creatives. Then which is the sense of desiredata? (
> https://devel.goto10.org/desiredata)

Its way open yeah and such is its charm, a great dev environment for
so many ideas, not necessarily a final component or end in
iteself yet, for me. Beyond prototyping in Pd and rebuilding by
hand I'd like to see Pd output more reusable code and integrate
with other things as well as itself on a lower level. Like being
able to compile new externals from inside Pd itself (segfault
proof combo of compiler, text editor and "active object"), or converting
the DSP parts of a patch to a plugin for another system LV2 or
VST or something not requiring Pd any longer. So in summary I'd
like to see Pd mature as a component in a wider development
environment, which I think it surely will.

ANdy

--
Use the source