[PD] Cameras and capture cards.

Jaime Oliver jaime.oliver2 at gmail.com
Sat May 26 22:46:15 CEST 2007

Hello all,

I have to determine what cameras and capture cards are best for video
tracking...

Preferably, i would like them to work with as many platforms as
possible (OSX, windows and Linux) and this are the constraints:

capture cards: the least latency possible. I have tried some
digitizers that used compressed firewire and they are too slow (too
much latency). others like the turtle beach are uncompressed firewire
and seem to be faster, however, so far cheap PCI cards seem to be
faster for me, but the restriction there is that it has to use a slot
in a computer and most are for windows only.

Video Cameras: good color resolution, option to turn off auto-iris
(and preferably more than 30 fps). I have tried a canon 3 ccd that
gives good color resolution but only 30 fps. I also tried some CCTV
cameras, but they have autoiris and bad color resolution (only
composite video out). I briefly tried fire-i and they seemed to have
low latency through their firewire out. I think you can hook them in
series too which is also great unless latency increases.

anyway, if anyone can share their experiences i would be very greatful,

thanks in advance,

Jaime

--
Jaime E Oliver LR