[PD] puredata evolution

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Mon May 28 11:44:22 CEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-05-27 at 23:39 -0400, Chris McCormick wrote:
> Also, whenever somebody's patch
> is not accepted by Miller they often decide to fork Pd. In other open
> source projects it is very normal for the project maintainer to drop
> patches with very little info, or even completely silently. When this
> happens in Pd development, people sometimes get antagonistic and/or
> frustrated

forking is something, that's happening in other free software
communities as well and is usually a way to speed up the development
process if the maintainer becomes too conservative ... the history of
gcc shows a successful fork ...

but there are always two sides ... the developer doing the fork is
loosing the support of the community and the community is loosing the
support of the developer ...

it's good to see this discussion on the pd-list, though ...

tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://tim.klingt.org

I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion
  Jack Kerouac