[PD] puredata evolution

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon May 28 12:33:26 CEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-05-27 at 17:59 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Another point they talk about is having a focus.  I think Pd suffers
> from the lack of focus.  As a software project, it has an unusual
> structure, which makes it difficult to clearly outline the focus.
> That's something I am planning on working on in the coming months,
> trying to figure out my own focus in all this.  Pd is quite a bit
> different here also since it covers a very wide range of topics, so
> there isn't really the possibility of a strong focus like with
> subversion.

hi hans

yeah, a software project needs definitely a focus. for myself, i always
believed, that pd's focus is audio and that is also the reason, why i
came to pd. and when having a look at src/notes.txt i still think, pd's
focus is on audio. so, i am not quite sure, if pd really lacks a focus.
which, on the other hand, doesn't mean, that pd can be used in
outside-of-audio contexts, but then one needs to use externals (or a dev
needs to write an external first). so, externals are focussed on
'specialized' - non-audio - applications. this is my subjective view of
things.
was it that, what you meant by a 'focus'?

roman