[PD] [declare]: -path seems not to be added to the searchpathes

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue May 29 04:44:15 CEST 2007

On May 28, 2007, at 6:03 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 22:42 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> Hallo,
>>
>> first: Maybe we should avoid the term "parent patch" for the patch,
>> that contains the [declare] object. Generally "parent" seems to be
>> used for specifying the parent of an abstraction as in "graph on
>> parent".  One could consider an object like [declare] to be like an
>> abstraction and then its parent would be the patch that contains
>> [declare]. However IMO this becomes confusing when talking about the
>> parent of an abstraction that itself contains the [declare].
>>
>> Does someone have a better term for the patch, that contains an
>> object? Maybe the "owner" or so.
>
> yeah, using 'parent' lead to confusions. i'll use 'owner patch' in the
> future.
>
>> Roman Haefeli hat gesagt: // Roman Haefeli wrote:
>>
>>> what i meant to be inconsistent:
>>>
>>> - [declare -lib somelib] makes the objects of the external 'somelib'
>>> availabe to ALL patches, not only to the [declare]'s parent patch.
>>
>> Currently it's impossible to "unload" a binary object (builtin or
>> external) from Pd once it is loaded. Loading the wrong [counter]
>> binary will make all your [counter] objects behave like the one
>> loaded
>> first. That's also why you cannot overwrite binary objects with
>> abstractions. Just try it.
>>
>> So the fact that [declare -lib somelib] acts globally actually is
>> unavoidable and might even be considered a bug.
>>
>>> - [declare -path somefolder] makes the abstractions from
>>> 'somefolder'
>>> available ONLY to the parent patch, i.e. the patch, that contains
>>> the
>>> [declare].
>>
>> That's the idea IIRC: Only the "owner" should see that modified path.
>> Unfortunatly that behaviuor is currently broken for [declare -path
>> ...] in abstractions.
>
> thanks for the explanations. that makes sense for me now. am i right
> then, that:
>
> [declare myfolder] [myabs]
>
> and
>
> [myfolder/myabs]
>
> are essentially the same thing? if yes, what is the advantage of using
> [declare]?

Yeah, they are essentially the same thing.  The advantages of using
[declare] would be that the names are shorter and perhaps more
readable in the context of that patch.  Plus the help files would
work :-/.  IIRC, cliking "Help" on [myfolder/myabs] won't find the
help file.  That should be fixed, but it's not simple, unfortunately.

.hc