[PD] puredata evolution

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue May 29 05:16:44 CEST 2007

On May 28, 2007, at 10:29 AM, Damian Stewart wrote:

> Roman Haefeli wrote:
>> was it that, what you meant by a 'focus'?
>
> for me, the biggest issue is with the UI. almost none of the points
> in src/notes.txt deal with the GUI, and certainly there is no talk
> at all of gui improvements.
>
> to me the engine works fine - i mean, pd crashes sometimes but this
> is usually due to missing or broken externals than to do with
> anything in the engine.
>
> it is the gui that needs work. i would like to work on this but i
> don't know where to start.

One thing that would be a great improvement, would not touch much
other code, and be likely to be accepted would be an overhaul of the
preference panels.  IMHO, there should be just one preference window,
with separate tabs for each section.  While this is all Tcl/Tk code,
you don't really need to know much Tcl in order to do this.  The Tk
stuff works like most standard GUI layout stuff, and the list can
help with the Tcl quirks.

Another thing that is always useful is making better help patches.
Just submit them to the patch tracker so they can be reviewed.

.hc

> --
> damian stewart | +44 7854 493 796 | damian at frey.co.nz
> frey | live art with machines | http://www.frey.co.nz

----

Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
related to the telescope.      -Edsger Dykstra