[PD] gui development (was puredata evolution)

Georg Holzmann grhPD at gmx.at
Tue May 29 11:38:07 CEST 2007

Hallo!

> features that pd neither uses nor needs to use. It would be dead-easy to
> re-implement the current GUI in C or C++ using a cross-platform low-level
> graphics library, which would not only give us enormous visualisation
> capability, but I think is necessary to support any more advanced GUI
[...]
> Indeed this is a project I'd like to take on, but I can't penetrate the GUI
> code, can't figure out where anything hooks in to anything. Anyone care to
> give me some pointers?

Well, this idea of reimplementing pd's gui came up now quite some times
... and there were already some trials (in qt, karma, desiredata ...).

I think the problem is that one would have to communicate with Miller
_before_ starting to do that, if he could think of integrating this into
pd ...
And I don't think that this is such a small project or would be so easy
... ;)

However, I think that problem is that nobody knows, what Miller wants
here. He said at the pd-convention 2004 that tcl/tk was/is only a
temporal solution ...

LG
Georg