[PD] PD i education

Koray Tahiroglu ktahirog at uiah.fi
Wed May 30 09:15:16 CEST 2007

On May 30, 2007, at 5:24 AM, pd-list-request at iem.at wrote:
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 21:41:08 -0400
> From: Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>
> Subject: Re: [PD] PD i education
> To: Mikael Fernstrom <mikael.fernstrom at ul.ie>
> Cc: pd-list at iem.at, Eirik Arthur Blekesaune <blekesaune at gmail.com>
>

> We've been using Pd to teach sound and soon sensors/interaction here:
>
> http://idmi.poly.edu

I have been teaching PD workshops in general, and using PD in a
longer term sound course at Academy in Helsinki (http://mlab.uiah.fi
and . http://www.kuva.fi), next autumn I will teach Physical
Interaction Design course at VCD Istanbul Bilgi University (http://
vcd.bilgi.edu.tr/), there I will use PD+ Arduino, and also still
negotiating with Music Department for a longer term Computer Music
courses(PD will be used for teaching materials and projects)

> I try to make all my materials freely available.  It seems that we
> should all work together and come up with some kick-ass teaching
> materials.  Plus I think it would save us all a lot of work in the
> long run.

> You might also be interested in Miller's new book which using Pd
> directly to teach DSP:
>
> http://www.worldscibooks.com/compsci/6277.html
>
> .hc

that has been one of the PDDP ongoing plans to collect  teaching
materials as well as teaching strategies related to different PD
modules (sound-image-networking-physical) or long/short term courses.
I totally agree that it would save alot in a longer run, not only for
collecting materials, but for teaching experiences as well. I guess
we can bring this as a topic  before or during the convention in PDDP
meetings.

Koray.

M.Koray Tahiroglu
Media Lab,UIAH
http://mlab.uiah.fi/~korayt/
tel: +358 50 939 02 33 ( in Finland only)
tel: +90 533 712 8245