[PD] PD i education

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed May 30 15:01:01 CEST 2007

On May 30, 2007, at 6:45 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Frank Barknecht hat gesagt: // Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
>> When children learn how to read, at first they decipher words letter
>> by letter: "c-a-t", "d-o-g", "e-l-e-p-h-a-n-t" etc.
>>
>> Adult people don't do this anymore, instead they immediatly recognize
>> complete words or even phrases and sentences, youknowhaddamean?
>>
>> In Pd developing this kind of an eye for phrases, blocks, idioms or
>> whatever you call them is just as important.
>
> Quick addition: This also is the reason, why I rather try to avoid
> using all the externals included in pd-extended in workshops. Actually
> I'd prefer using only plain Miller-Pd there (which also is available
> for OS-X 10.3, which many people still use). When learning to read,
> you generally don't start with "Gravity's Rainbox" but rather with
> "Dr. Seuss's ABC".

I agree with this concept for sure, but I think that it's quite
useful to install Pd-extended in the context of an intro workshop
even if the students will only be using the basics.  The reason is
that getting everything installed and running properly can easily
trip up newbies, while the issues that arise are quite trivial for an
experienced Pder.

Ideally, having the whole package doesn't get in the way of newbies
starting out with the basics.  If it does, that should be fixed.
Once it is installed, then newbies can start to explore thru all the
examples after the workshop and see where it leads them.  That's a
key part of my philosophy here: enabling the spirit of play and
exploration.

.hc