[PD] PD i education

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed May 30 16:18:46 CEST 2007

Hallo,

> Ideally, having the whole package doesn't get in the way of newbies
> starting out with the basics.  If it does, that should be fixed.
> Once it is installed, then newbies can start to explore thru all the
> examples after the workshop and see where it leads them.  That's a
> key part of my philosophy here: enabling the spirit of play and
> exploration.

I think, basically we aren't that far away from each other: The large
number of examples in pd-extended of course is like a collection of
texts for the students to study and learn from.

And of course in my workshops, I do use pd-extended, let alone because
it's the only available collection of externals. (I still would like
to have it a bit more customizable instead of being so monolithic, and
I believe the help-files are too "chatty", but that's another story.)

But my main point is this: You can learn what [route] means, you can
learn how [list prepend] works. But you only learn how to "speak" Pd
as soon as you understand what this means:

 "something"   [0\
 [list prepend 2]

 [route 0 1 2 3]

With pd-extended it's tempting to just use [demux 4] instead but then
you wouldn't have gained a deeper understanding of the language, you
would only know another word.

Ciao