[PD] future directions for threading in Pd (Was: Re: puredata evolution)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed May 30 23:16:21 CEST 2007

On Wed, 30 May 2007, Phil Stone wrote:

> And now to hear it's being thought about in DD...this is so cool!  I really
> hope it can happen.  Please keep us posted on any developments.

When I had this discussion I had GridFlow in mind, not DesireData, but I always
think about how one idea connects to the rest of what exists, so I always think
of possible future expansion. Features of GridFlow that need not be specific to
GridFlow, are usually designed to make sense for pd at large, even if those
features are still only bundled with GridFlow. Generally, GridFlow is closer to
the concepts that are in Pd itself, than other video plugins are.

DesireData has been almost on hold since sometime in January. My plan is to
resume working on it this week and finish what I already started. This
certainly won't include threads.

I don't even think that a threaded GridFlow is for 2007.

Brainstorming is not a promise of software and a promise of software is not
software.

(note that even though I post this I have no idea what's been on pd-list since
March and I don't expect to read pd-list anytime soon)