[PD] PD i education

Kyle Klipowicz kyleklip at gmail.com
Wed May 30 23:59:32 CEST 2007

True, I agree that showing the power of abstractions 'under the hood'
is a great thing. but still, it should be carefully used.

For instance, teaching someone how to use PixelTango before their
learning Gem is a bad idea. I like to look at PixelTango abstractions
now to get ideas for my own Gem toys, but that is because I started
using Gem from the basic objects first.

I guess what I was trying to say is that it's nice to show off these
flashy libraries and all, but I wouldn't want to be teaching someone
something and have them get distracted by the glitz before they get a
solid grasp on the principles.

Now, for things such as demux, et al, I wholeheartedly agree that we
should be trying to do this with standard objects. There is a definite
gray area here between abstractions that act as applications and those
that mimic native Pd objects or low-level externals.

Sometimes I think the motto of Pd should be:

"The picture is the program is the programming language is the
application is the GUI is the tangled mess is the where am I again?"

~Kyle

--
-----