[PD] pix_record frames per second and again cpu-performance

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu May 31 20:41:20 CEST 2007

Quoting moritz <erstens at gmx.ch>:

> hello list
>
> two questions about pix_record:
>
> i render out some movieclips with pix_record. the Gem-render is 15
> frames per second, but when i play it with mplayer it says it plays 20
> frames per second. I have to force mplayer to play it 15 frames per
> second. can i give pix_record an argument that it should only record 15
> fps? or is it just an mplayer affair?

no it is a Gem bug which writes movies with a hardcoded framerate of "20".
until this is fixed, you will have to convert the missinformed movie
into a well-informed one manually. (since this shouldn't be a problem,
fixing it is not very high on the todo list)

> second question:
> i want to record different geos, so i have to pix_snap every frame and
> then go into pix_record. i think pix_snap is very cpu intensive,
> sometimes pd crashes. Is there another solution to record the Gemwindow
> that do not cost that much cpu power?

no, that's the joys of openGL-consumer cards and the AGP bus (which are
optimized to generate graphics but not to read the data from the
gfx-card)
using a PCI-express card might help.

mfga.sdr
IOhannes