[PD] puredata evolution

Niklas Klügel niklas.kluegel at mytum.de
Fri Jun 1 02:22:38 CEST 2007

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> Niklas Klügel wrote:
>
>> about the issues of explicitely threading parts of the graph (that
>> came up in the discussion lateron), i must say i don't get why you
>> would want to do it.
>
> Because it's cheaper to implement.
>
> If well done, it's also an intermediate step towards automatic
> threading. It's important to cut hard goals into easier goals, because
> it reduces required investment and gives quicker returns.
yes, I totally agree but I was curious about the technical aspects and
not necessarily about the development process that naturally has to
obey these rules.

> Also, I wouldn't trust automatic threading to make use of the CPUs in
> the best possible way all of the time, *especially* for real-time.
well, afair an algorithm for the optimal solution would be in NP anyway.
if a suboptimal solution is enough, i think you can use it in a realtime
system very well; ableton live for example scales with multiple cores/cpus.

so long...
Niklas