[PD] network

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Fri Jun 1 15:39:44 CEST 2007

Max Neupert wrote:
> hi list,
>
> i'm sending control data to a vline~ object over the network. those
> are precisely timed messages. i can hear uncontinuous errors in the
> output, some messages seem to be delayed.
> when i use OSC the timing is pretty bad. now i use netserver/
> netclient and it's getting better, but there are still some
> discontinuity hearable (in the sampleplaying of the tabread4~ driven
> by the vline~).
>
> i guess i can further optimize by avoiding all other network traffic,
> but is there another way to get the sheduling tighter?

I think the best way would be to put some kind of timestamp in the
messages and have the receiver hold the received message until the
timestamped time occurs. That should get rid of any jitter at the
expense of a second or so of delay.
Otherwise put the machines as close together as possible (speed of
electrons is about 10cm per nanosecond ;)) and have them be the only two
machines on the network, using a crossover cable instead of a
switch/router. Also disable background network processes like file
sharing and NTP.
Martin