[PD] puredata evolution

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Jun 3 19:24:55 CEST 2007

On Thu, 31 May 2007, Charles Henry wrote:

>> If well done, it's also an intermediate step towards automatic threading.
>> It's important to cut hard goals into easier goals, because it reduces
>> required investment and gives quicker returns.
> I think that's a very good point.  It could also lead to some new
> insights into the problem as a whole, during testing.

That's an important point of Extreme Programming. Suppose you always work
on a new project with different goals than all your previous projects.
Then you don't have the experience necessary to design the program
because you need to know what happens when implementing it. Therefore you
design as you need it, you grow a design gradually so that you can use
the experience that you gain implementing it, to redesign existing parts
or design further parts.

> Top-down design is usually difficult because of misc problems you will
> find later on.

Top-down design on its own doesn't work. It needs to be complemented by
bottom-up design, but a good corporate designer can conceal that fact from
the Inquisition and even from himself.

(Bottom-up design on its own doesn't work either)

> I am curious... what kind of changes do you think would have to be made
> to allow this function?

I'm not that deep into it yet, so I cannot talk so much about it. I
shouldn't be thinking that much about threading before the conference, or
even this year at all.