[PD] function-to-block dictionary in pd-extended [was: Re: PD i education]

Anders Friberg andersf at speech.kth.se
Mon Jun 4 09:52:48 CEST 2007

Sounds great!
I started to think about how it could be done. One simple start would be
to include the list of objects according to function that is found in
core-pd.  However, I think it would be better to put in in the help menu
rather than then right-clicking on the canvas. This would encourage
newbies to use the standard pd blocks to start with.

A general function-to-block dictionary is more complicated since there
seems to be something like 1000 help files in the doc section...
One possibility could be to put a text label in each help file, for example:
;;;pd-extended classification;;;category: audio;function: filter,
subfunction: bandpass;;;
This is just an example. It could be done in a number of ways e.g. just
give keywords. The audio/control classification is of course already
evident from the tilde sign.This could be complemented with a short
"one-liner":

Then this would be divided in thee tasks:
1. agree on the list of categories and functions
2. label the help files ( I guess that it would be easy for everyone to
do in the CVS?)
3. Implement sorting according to function in the browser. (If the
browser search the doc section a new lib would be included automatically.)

The first step can be done on this list or in the pd doc group.
The second step can easily be distributed. I could spend some time with
it and I think I could mobilize more people at the department as well.
The last step depends mostly on hans so it would be great to hear your
opinion about it.
/Anders

--
Anders Friberg