[PD] PD i education

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Tue Jun 5 04:17:51 CEST 2007

On Tue, 29 May 2007 10:39:40 +0200
"Eirik Arthur Blekesaune" <blekesaune at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anybody help me point out who uses PD to teach electronic music? ..
> (Algoritmic) Composistion
> Synthesis
> DSP-theory
> real-time performance

Electronic music and DSP are intersecting, I think Pd is unique
in its potential to teach the greatest amount in a single environment.
Before Pd you could only cover such a wide range of principles
with a pile of different tools.

How to break up units into music processing, composition, synthesis,
sequencing? Here's my unit outlines...

http://www.obiwannabe.co.uk/html/workshops/units-list.html

> What are the pros and cons for using it to teach DSP-theory?

Pros: DSP has a very wide applications field, with Pd it's
easy to demonstrate/model lots of things, not just sound, but possibly
radar, process control, machine listening, without expensive DSP
development boards. If I had more time and resources I would include
some physical/electronics and interfacing stuff, because that is useful
for real time performance and instrument designers imo.

With GUI canvas concept it is possible to build active teaching tools
with Pd itself. Active lecture slides that are patches and contain links
to other patches makes Pd a very powerful demonstration device for CBT.

It's free open source software, perfect for teaching, now students only
need knowledge and motivation, not expensive licenses to get education.

Cons, hmm, as Tom said, the fine grain sample/block level could be
better somehow. There's a river to cross when moving between teaching
about delays and filters. And for Pd to be a mature as a development tool
as well as for teaching it needs to output code that can be compiled
into new externals or used in separate applications. I believe these two
things are related. It's like Pd is missing a lowest level where you can
basically write simplified code into objects and compile them.

--
Use the source