[PD] netserver port availability

Pall Thayer palli at pallit.lhi.is
Tue Jun 5 14:55:01 CEST 2007

There's nothing you can do about a hung port short of rebooting the
machine. This has always been a problem with the netserver and
flashserver objects (maybe someone should look into it). I avoid
using netserver because of this and instead use netsend/netreceive to
a perl server that mediates. I never have the problem of hanging
ports with perl.

On 5-Jun-07, at 3:38 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Try this from the Terminal:
>>
>> killall -KILL pd
>>

> in my experience this does not help with hung [netreceive] objects.
> even more, i sometimes do have no pd-process any more anyhow
> (because it
> was quitted) and still the port is blocked and therefore not
> [netreceive] can be created.
>
> it would be interesting to know which process actually locks the port
> ("lsof -i" usually does not reveal anything in these cases).
> if nothing else helps, a reboot will do (rebooting might be faster
> than
> waiting a couple of minutes)
>

> i don't know of any (pd-side) solution to this problem, that won't
> make
> things worse.
> one (probably not so good) idea would be to actually create the object
> and try to get the port in a background process.
> however, this will make things very hard to debug.
>

> masd.r
> IOhannes

Pall Thayer
palli at pallit.lhi.is