[PD] isn't the GUI supposed to have lower priority than process?

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Jun 5 17:41:01 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 10:20 -0400, Stephen Sinclair wrote:
> > > all this issues cannot be 'worked around' within pd, which makes pd
> > > sometimes not very suitable for presenting/live situations.
>
> I'd be curious to know what happens when you try things like:
>
> - using Jack in RT mode
> - increasing buffer size
> - using dual-core computer
> - using "renice" on the pd process

this suggestions won't solve the mentioned problems for sure (besides
increasing the buffer to a huge amount). since the problems arise
withing pd itself, you cannot solve them by giving pd the highest
priority. these suggestions do help, when switching workspaces cause
drop outs for example or when any other software is disturbing the
processing of pd.
the problem is, that pd does *everything* in zero logical time, that is
why reading/files can lead to dropouts: it is just not possible to read
a 30MB file in no time. the solution would be to exclude these actions
from the normal processing order of pd, so that pd can conitinue
processing other objects without having to wait for the disk
reading/writing object until the file is loaded completely.

roman