[PD] isn't the GUI supposed to have lower priority than process?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jun 5 18:56:00 CEST 2007

Hallo,
marius schebella hat gesagt: // marius schebella wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
>  > Just a note: Many people all over the world are using Pd in live
>  > performances, which proves that it is a suitable tool for this.
>
> not really, it just proves, that some people know how to handle the
> problems, be it knowing about the limitations or just not caring about
> dropouts.

Which doesn't contradict my statement that Pd is a suitable tool for
live performances, otherwise these people in the know would use
something else. (Pd also is a programming language, so part of the
suitability for certain tasks depends on the quality of the programs
written.)

My point is: We shouldn't make Pd worse than it actually is. Apart
from Supercollider (and somehow Csound) there is not a single piece of
free software in its realm that managed to be the tool of choice for
so many people for such a long time now. Pd throughout its 10-year
history and with every major revision always was a usable tool for
live performances (probably also thanks to Miller's conservatism when
it comes to doing deep changes to the software). It's much more than
just a prototyping tool, it always was a tool for practioneers.

Ciao