[PD] isn't the GUI supposed to have lower priority than process?

Matteo Sisti Sette matteo.sistisette at email.it
Wed Jun 6 01:48:32 CEST 2007

Frank wrote:

> Just a note: Many people all over the world are using Pd in live
> performances, which proves that it is a suitable tool for this.
> That's it's not bug-free and has room for improvements is a different
> story.

And also:

> there is not a single piece of
> free software in its realm that managed to be the tool of choice for
> so many people for such a long time now

Now you make me feel like I have somewhat been criticising PD.  :$
That wasn't my intention.
I obviously love it, and use it, and choose it (every day of my life -lol-),
so I do think it's the best around - or at least the best I've been able to
find around.

And of course it is more than "usable" and "suitable" for live performance
(though I must say that what many people do never proves anything).
I do use it for live performance (well, more precisely the people I work for
use it for live performance, I use it at home and in their studio so that
they can use it in live performance), and that's where my frustration comes
from.

So what the hell was my point?

My point was that I do think that those issues which make it unsafe to use
it in realtime (I revert to the realtime terminology because I think it is
irrelevant whether it is a performance or a studio session: what is relevant
is that you're doing something in real time and you have some real-time
requirements) should be considered SEVERE issues.
So, the recent thread about evolution, future, and roadmaps came to my mind,
and I just wanted to share (and submit to criticism) my opinion that I just
can't imagine any roadmap that doesn't start with solving that kind of
issues, since whatever the goal is, it passes thru solving them.

I am glad to see that many of you reacted with indignation when I insinuated
that PD is a prototyping tool. That's the reaction I hoped to provoke. My
point is that if we don't accept that PD is meant for prototyping (and I
hope we don't accept it), then we should consider as a severe issue anything
that prevents "trivial" or "common" or "reasonable" or "possibly desirable"
operations to be performed in real time (with a decreasing degree of
severity while ranging from trivial to possibly desirable).

"Severe issue" doesn't mean something that decreases our trust in PD, just
something that shoud have a high rank in the to-do list.

Regretfully I can't contribute in any way, as my C/C++ programming skills
are at the hello-world level.

Now just a note. Obviously it is just great that there exists a way to load
a soundfile in zero logical time: if you do it at start up and don't care
about the drop-out (inaudible on a zero output), it simplifies all those
operations that need to be guaranteed to be done in a certain order.
Changing the behaviour of sounfiler to threaded would be a disaster for
backward compatibility, and the same goes for any object that suffers from
similar limitations. Alternative threaded realtime-safe objects should be
provided in those cases.

Regarding the question "who said that" (i.e. who said that pd is a tool for
prototyping), I couldn't find the original source, but I found this in the
list archive (obviously I take it out of its context):

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 Kyle Klipowicz said:
> I recall a quote from Miller that paraphrased said something to the
> effect that Pd is like the bash shell in UNIX. You wouldn't write a
> word processor in a bash script, but it's great for rapidly
> prototyping a quick and useful solution.

 Sponsor:
 Fai squillare la PANTERA ROSA sul tuo cellulare: e' in REGALO
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=6613&d=6-6