[PD] switch~ & cputime climbing

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Wed Jun 6 13:54:36 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 13:27 +0300, Derek Holzer wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> just to keep this in people's minds... I have exact same problem
> described in these emails with my Particle Chamber granular synthesis
> patch. It has 32 "switch~ed" voices. Using one instance seems to be OK,
> but two or more leads to exponentially-growing CPU usage that eventually
> makes PD unresponsive to the GUI (and eventually would probably crash PD
> if I let it go on...) I guess this could relate to the "isn't the GUI
> supposed to have lower priority than	process?" thread, since this
> particular problem makes PD a bit unusable for the kind of performances
> I want to be doing with it. The fact that PD lacks a usable
> voice-allocation method (i.e. CPU resources can be allocated and
> de-allocated to a voice, something which switch~ has a bug with, and
> which Nqpoly~ and so on does not do at all) means that I must start
> looking into SuperCollider to work with my polyphonic granular synthesis
> stuff. Sad but true...

this is definitely not a general problem of pd. the most
netpd-instruments do switch~ing all the time and i never noticed an
increasing cpu usage over time on my and on many other computers.

that is why i think it would be interesting to know, if this problem is
os or pd-distro specific. maybe it would make sense to collect
information about systems, where this is happening and where not, in
order to isolate the source of the problem.
you might also provide a little testpatch, that triggers to problem on
your machine, so that everyone can easily test as well.

here:

ubuntu dapper
pd-vanilla 0.40.2 (compiled from source)
no increased cpu usage due to [switch~]ing